Skip navigation


Get $53 Off When you

AirSouth Cooling and Heating Blog

A Guide to a New Furnace

When it comes to heating your home efficiently, understanding the Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) ratings of furnaces is crucial. AFUE measures how efficiently a furnace converts fuel into heat over the course of a year. In this blog post, we’ll delve into what AFUE ratings mean, why they matter, and provide practical tips for shopping for a high-efficiency furnace.

Just remember–from here on out you can trust our team with your furnace services in Flowood, MS.

Understanding Efficiency Ratings

AFUE, expressed as a percentage, represents the amount of fuel a furnace turns into usable heat. For instance, a furnace with an AFUE rating of 90 converts 90% of the fuel into heat, while the remaining 10% is lost through exhaust gases. Higher AFUE ratings indicate greater efficiency, resulting in lower energy consumption and utility bills.

Why This Matters

The significance of AFUE ratings extends beyond mere efficiency—they directly impact your energy costs and the environment. Furnaces with higher AFUE ratings consume less fuel, leading to reduced carbon emissions. Investing in a high AFUE-rated furnace translates to long-term cost savings as you’ll spend less on energy bills over time. It’s a smart financial decision that also contributes to environmental sustainability.

Factors Influencing a New Furnace’s Efficiency

Understanding the factors influencing AFUE ratings can guide you in choosing the right furnace for your needs. Combustion efficiency, heat exchanger design, and venting and airflow considerations all play a role in determining a furnace’s overall efficiency. Manufacturers design high-efficiency furnaces to excel in these areas, resulting in superior AFUE ratings.

Shopping for a High-Efficiency Furnace

When shopping for a furnace, prioritize those with high AFUE ratings. Compare standard and high-efficiency models to see the potential energy savings. Look for AFUE information in product specifications; reputable manufacturers provide this data to help consumers make informed decisions. Remember, the higher the AFUE, the more efficiently the furnace operates.

Other Key Considerations

In addition to AFUE ratings, consider other factors that contribute to overall furnace efficiency. Look for Energy Star certification, indicating that the furnace meets stringent energy efficiency guidelines. Explore government incentives for installing high-efficiency furnaces, as they can offset initial costs. Lastly, always opt for professional installation to ensure optimal performance and efficiency.

Common Misconceptions about Furnace Efficiency

To make an informed decision, it’s essential to dispel common misconceptions about AFUE. Some may believe that 100% AFUE is achievable, but this is unrealistic due to inevitable heat losses. It’s crucial to understand the limitations of AFUE ratings and consider them alongside other factors when choosing a furnace.

Maintenance Tips

Maintaining a high AFUE requires regular furnace maintenance. Simple practices, such as changing air filters and cleaning vents, can significantly impact efficiency. Professional inspections and tune-ups are equally important to address any potential issues and keep the furnace operating at peak efficiency. Also, don’t hesitate to call our team for furnace support. An early call can help address an issue before it compounds into multiple problems that make things worse for your already struggling system.

Schedule an appointment today with AirSouth Cooling and Heating.

Comments are closed.